Established in 1892 and one of the oldest funeral directors in the area .
W. Smith and Sons is a genuine family business. In 1892 Walter Smith, a wheelwright from Puriton in Somerset, established his own coachbuilding business in Pine Road, Winton. His work occassionally involved the construction of horse drawn hearses and carriages for the funeral trade and it was not long before Walter realised that he could also provide a funeral service to supplement his coachbuilding work. By 1896, the business expanded sufficiently to warrant a move to larger premises in Wimborne Road, Winton, where it has remained to this present day.
Following Walter's death in 1934 and the onset of the motor vehicle it was decided by his sons, Leslie and Gordon to cease the coachbuilding work and concentrate solely on funeral directing.
Improvements to facilities and expansion has continued over the years mainly under the sole control of Edward Smith, Leslie's son, until his retirement in 1991 after 52 years of service. Edward's own family, the fourth generation of Trevor, Michael and Roger Smith continue with the management of the business today.
After working for many years alongside Charlie Leat, the funeral director of Bransgore, W. Smith and Sons opened a branch in the centre of the village in 1998. This was following a decline in Charlie's health which forced him to reduce his work commitments, but Charlie still continued with an active involvement in conducting funerals of families which he knew well up until his own death in 2009.
W. Smith and Sons continues to provide a local funeral directors service for the residents of Bransgore, Burton and Burley. We also provide the option of using a genuine independant family run business instead of the large corporate funeral directors located in Ringwood, Highcliffe and New Milton.