Founded in 1900 as a grocery shop in Gate street, Gwaun Cae Gurwen, the business became known as Gate shop due to being built on the foundations of the toll gate.
The business expanded and purchased its first lorry in 1930 and become known locally as Evan Rees and Sons, Gate Shop Garage. In addition to this the business also provided the Amman Valley with wedding and hackney cars.
By 1935 the business further expanded by purchasing the first hearse in the Amman Valley. Initially the hearse was to provide independent village undertakers, however by the 1950’s the company began proving funeral services to the Amman Valley.
Evan Rees and Sons continued to provide its services to the Amman Valley and in 2008 joined Hywel Griffiths and Sons, enabling Kim Jenkins (nee Rees) to continue to provide a personal service to the Amman Valley.