A & W Goddard was a local builders, carpenters, painters and funeral directors business started in 1896 by Arthur and William Goddard in Fleet. They were provided with assistance by the family business of E Finch & Sons from Aldershot in the form of staff, horses and carts, and funeral vehicles.
After the Goddard brothers died, the business was passed onto Norman Goddard and his cousin Frank Carol, but continued to receive assistance from John and Tony at E Finch & Sons.
After E Finch & Sons was sold to Great Southern Group, the business was acquired by John, Tony and Martin at the beginning of 1989. The premises were then subsequently demolished and rebuilt in Kent Road, Fleet where the business continues to serve the local community to this day.
As part of the Ford Mears group, A & W Goddard continues to provide a caring and professional service to the local community around Fleet. Further investment in the business by Ford Mears has meant that A & W Goddard is now able to offer a wider range of services and vehicle options, whilst still providing a personalised service that honours the legacy of A & W Goddard’s independent, family-run business.